I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Friday 6 May 2011

Native Son - Richard Wright


This is quite simply a great book.  It reminded me in parts of To Kill a Mockingbird and in other parts of Of Mice and Men.  The author powerfully evokes both the feeling of depression era America and the sense of resentment and envy created by the racist sensibilities contained in American society at the time.

The protagonist is clearly guilty of the central crime of the novel and yet the author had portrayed his plight so powerfully that I found myself on his side for most of the book.

Overall I'm genuinely surprised that this book isn't better known than it is.  I've already recommended it to one friend and will carry on doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment