I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Monday 30 May 2011

Brain Wave - Poul Anderson

Like much good sci fi this book poses an interesting 'what if' question.  What if IQ's on Earth suddenly increased 3 or 4 fold for both man and animals.  How would the world change, how would we change and how would society alter to accomodate these changes?

Poul Anderson gives his answers to these questions in a thought provoking and enjoyable book.  He skips around the world with small set piece stories from various cultures illustrating the changes but always comes back to his central characters based at a scientific institute in New York.  The book is a real product of its time with references to commies and reds litering the book but this gives it a fantastic feel of americana and nostalgia that really adds to the story.  Above all this reads like a good sci fi story set in another era.

I've enjoyed other Poul Anderson work in the past and will definitely keep an eye out for other books.

No comments:

Post a Comment