I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Sunday 15 May 2011

Moneyball - Michael Lewis


This book tells the story of a revolution in baseball thinking from the point of view of one major league baseball team - The Oakland A's.  The new thinking in question is looking at players based on the difference they make to the teams chance of winning as opposed to the received wisdom on how good they are.  What this meant in practise was that a team with access to the right statistics could unearth players that no other team was interested in and consequently assemble a winning team far cheaper than their competitors.

So far so similar to a thousand other stories of sporting or business success.  But the author makes this book a fantastic read from start to finish with a good mix of anecdotal stories about individual players or games through to hard and detailed facts and a really good lay mans explanation of what they mean.  A really good book and I'll definitely be exploring some more of the authors work.

No comments:

Post a Comment