I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Saturday 16 April 2011

First Light - Geoffrey Wellum





A memoir of a Second World War fighter pilot that makes for an enjoyable and at times emotional read.  The author joined the RAF straight out of school as soon as he was allowed to and soon found himself qualifying as a fighter pilot right as Britain found itself plunged into war.  Without a pause for reflection he was thrust into active service and the Battle of Britain.

When reading the book you can't help but feel huge admiration for the author and his colleagues.  What they went through and achieved is one of the great stories of human endeavour and sacrifice and there is no need for me to repeat here Churchill's famous words.

Anyone with a passing interest in flying or the Second World War would do well to read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment