I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Saturday 18 June 2011

The Forever War - Joe Haldeman


I really enjoyed this book.  Its a fantastic blend of convincing science (the time elapsing while travelling faster than light) and thought provoking war book.  The author freely admits that this book is basically about the Vietnam war, he'd fought in Vietnam so what other war could he write about?

The lead character is convincing as are the future worlds the author creates (except possibly the final one which didn't quite do it for me).  As a fan of future dystopian novels I was always going to like the visions of the earth in the future ravaged by the economic deprivations of a war.

This is that rare sort of book that when you're finished reading you really wish the author had written another couple of hundred pages.  I'll definitely be recommending it to friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment