I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Sunday 6 November 2011

Serious Men - Manu Jospeh


This book is one of those books that is covered in rave reviews..."outstanding" "a work of genius" "staggering".  You know the sort.  It certainly helps to sell books but it can often then lead the reader to have high expectations when starting the book rather than setting out to enjoy a book based on its merits.  This book may suffer from this problem but remains a compelling and entertaining read.  The characters are vividly brought to life and are easy for the reader to imagine and associate with.

The story itself is interesting enough but the real star here is the sidelong look at Indian society and culture.  This is something that I know nothing about so have no choice but to take the book as an accurate representation of a society undergoing huge changes as the Indian economy booms.  With the new rich living alongside a huge number of people who feel left behind by the new prosperity.  There definitely seems to be a comparison to be made with history here.

A good book and well worth a read but hyped up a bit too much on the cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment