I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Tuesday 15 November 2011

A visit from the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan


Another book practically coated in glowing reviews and once again I'm left feeling like I've been oversold before I've started reading the book (I should probably avoid the 3 for 2 table if this is a problem for me to be honest).

Let me first say that this is a good book.  The story, such as it is, is centred on a group of characters who are loosely related by their connections to one another across continents and life times.  How they interact with one another is the chief fascination of the book and it works a treat.  You find yourself turning the pages and trying to spot previous and upcoming characters.

The author has beautifully evoked various times in recent history by using the music of the time as an anchoring point and it works really well.

a good book and one that I'll recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment