I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Saturday 19 November 2011

The Man who broke into Auschwitz - Denis Avey


This book is well worth a read.  It tells the story of one mans experience in the Second World War, from fighting in the deserts of North Africa, to be torpedoed while on board a prison transport and onto his incarceration in some of the worst places the Nazis could create.  Such was the spirit of Denis Avey that not only did he survive all of this but he still fought the war as best he could - in he head.  He challenged authority and the brutal system he found himself in.

The story in the title of the book is remarkable, aware of what was going on in the Jewish concentration camps he agreed to swap places with an inmate on a couple of occasions.  He knew he couldn't do anything about it and knew he was risking his life but felt it was essential to bear witness to what was taking place.

A fascinating book.  A remarkable man.

No comments:

Post a Comment