I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Sunday 23 October 2011

A race for Madmen: A History of the Tour de France - Chris Sidwells


The Tour de France is one of those annual sporting occasions that totally grips the world.  Like Wimbledon, The US Open at Augusta or the Superbowl.  The difference with the TDF is that it could only have been created in France.  The whole race is a product of the country that it tours every year and I for one, love it.

This excellent book by Chris Sidwell chronicles the race from its beginnings as a marketing tool for a cycling magazine through to the multi national sporting jamboree we know today.  He takes in some of the key racers and duels that have been fought over the years.

I would have liked a few more anecdotal stories from the riders themselves, but there are plenty of other books for that.  This book does exactly what it says it will do and is engaging throughout.  A good read for any fan of cycling or the TDF.

No comments:

Post a Comment