I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Sunday 23 October 2011

Earth Abides - George R Stewart


I'm a big fan of novels set in dystopian worlds so was looking forward to this book.  The story is set in a world where a particularly nasty virus has wiped out most of humanity.  The handful of survivors are forced to carve an existence in what is left of the world.

The book follows one of these survivors, Ish, as he first seeks to come to terms with what has happened and then sets about forging his new life in the post apocalyptic world.

I wont go into a lot of detail about the book itself, read it to find out.  But will say that I think the author has created a compelling and believable scenario....a little hard to believe at times but I was more than happy to suspend my disbelief in these moments.  When I'd finished the book I felt a genuine sense of loss for the characters....and that's always a good test for me as to whether a book has really grabbed my attention or not.  A really good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment