I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Wednesday 7 December 2011

The Rum Diary - Hunter S Thompson



Ok, so I admit it. one of the main reasons I read this book is because the film was coming out.  I've read several of The Good Doctors other less filmable books and thoroughly enjoyed them and I didn't like the idea of a non booky person recommending this one to me.  I even went so far as to buy the non film cover pictured above even though it cost a few quid more than the film cover one.

As I mentioned, I've read several other books by this author and I'm a huge fan.  Some people only see the drink and drugs and crazy language and dismiss his writing as a cheap trick.  They are wrong. He is one of the most insightful and intelligent journalists / writers of the last century and never shirks from a challenge or a story.

This book is a worthy part of his canon and I really enjoyed it.  At first I thought it was a little more straight laced than some of his other books....but I soon realised that I just hadn't seen it coming.  The good doctor is still in there taking you on a roller-coaster of a journey.  and most enjoyable a ride it was too.

The only problem....the book involves alot of rum.  the new film stars Johnny Depp.  I kept thinking of captain Jack Sparrow when I was reading it.  damn my limited and derivative imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment