I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Saturday 18 June 2011

Any Human Heart - William Boyd

The first book I've read from this author but it definitely wont be the last.  I was without a book to read on the return journey from France and my Dad lent me this.  I've already thanked him.

A hugely ambitious book telling the story of Logan Mountstuart throughout his life (in the form of his personal diaries).  As he lives through all of the 20th Century Logan meets many of the centuries most enigmatic and important characters from Picasso in Paris and Hemingway in the Spanish Civil War through to Edward the future royal abdicator.

A sometimes prickly character and almost constant philanderer, Logan Mountstuart is a tremendous central character.  I thoroughly enjoyed his life and following his progress through everything life through at him.

I'll be exploring William Boyds back catalogue with interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment