I'll be updating this blog when I've read a new book or an article in the news that I'd like to keep a track of. This is my way of keeping a running record of what I've read and what I thought of it.

Sunday 6 February 2011

Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts


First up, let me say that I did really enjoy this book.  But I did find the repeated attempts at philosophising and spirituality could get in the way of the story.  The main character while engrossing wasn't someone who I came to empathise with.  I put this down to his dubious morals as there were several characters in the book who I did warm to son it can't be down to the author's writing style.  Notably his ever cheerful friend from the slum Prabaker and the degenerate and mischievous Didier.

Much has been written about how true this book is, its presented as an account of the authors life.  But to be honest, with a tale as broad and enjoyable as this I don't really mind if it isn't 100% true.  As far as I can tell its based on the authors own experiences, if he's then used some artistic license to make the book how he wanted it to be that's fine with me.

I've never visited India but this book really makes me want to.  The author clearly has a huge amount of affection for the place.  He spends a good amount of time describing the food and the character of the Indian people in glowing terms.

I'd definitely recommend this book to friends (and have done so) but would caveat the recommendation with a warning about the philosophy.  All in all a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment